Cactus pin cushin

Oh my it has been a busy year! I have been costuming and dancing and doing set design and teaching and somewhere in all that trying to also do my crafting. There has been a lot of project starting but the finishing hasn't been all that great. I am making a goal to 1-finish the many project I have started and 2- try and starting posing them again.

I am in a new house now with a lot more room for all my art supplies which is so exiting! Now all my projects are more organized and ready to be completed. This week I finally marked something off my list that has been so close to being finished for MONTHS!

Cactus pin cushion:

I got the idea for this when I was given a bunch if little plastic gardening pots. I could not imagine anything actually growing in these tiny things so I put them in my craft supplies...and there they sat for a while until I came up with a project for them. I also have been looking for ways to use up scrape amounts of wool yarn to help down size my yarn stash. When I happened to have a bit of green yarn left over the idea came to me to knit up a cactus shape with the wool and then felt it.
So I did the knitting and I felted it up and then it got put in a bag somewhere as life got crazy with shows. I went from show to show to show to show and my poor little cactus just sat and waited. Then it got packed and moved to a new house where I rediscovered my knitted plant and finally put it all together. A little batting and some hot glue action and the ridiculously small pot finally had a purpose as my cactus pin cushion.




Put some pins in it and you have your cactus spikes for the finishing touch.  It makes me super happy as both a functional tool when sewing, and as another touch of whimsy in my art space.

How to (sort of):

To make the cactus I used double pointed needles to create the tube. When I wanted to make a arm I put a few stitches off on a stitch holder to come back to. At the top of the cactus I reduced stitched just like you would on a hat or mitten. Making the arms of the cactus is the same as making a thumb on a pair of mittens. Honestly I I just made it up as I went along and knitted it until I liked the way it looked. You can make it as big or small and with as many or few arms as you like. Just have fun with it.



Comments

Popular Posts